Thursday, July 8, 2010

It always gets darkest before the dawn...


It’s funny how things always appear to reach the deepest, darkest point before something finally changes and all of the sudden everything is better than could be expected.  This is how I’ve recently felt about my trip to France this month.

Just a few weeks ago, I had only raised a little over 50% of the funds needed for this project.  As the deadline was approaching, I started to face some tough questions which caused me to start to doubt myself and the timing of this trip.  I chose to hold onto my belief that this trip is not only going to provide some much-needed help and support to the folks currently serving in Normandy, but it is also a timely way for me to use my unique gifting to serve the Kingdom of God.  At the end of the day, I had to believe in what I didn’t see; something I felt in my heart based on a passion I have, which I think ultimately comes from God.  That passion is to be used to help people find the love, truth, and hope they are seeking, whether they realize it or not.  The fact that I speak French and feel particularly drawn to francophone (French-speaking) people makes this missions opportunity even more perfect.

After praying once again, I began to share with others about the need I had for $930 more.  It was in the most surprising times -- times when I wasn’t even sharing in hopes to receive support from the person in front of me but instead was just talking about what was on my heart -- that I was blessed with the promise of a generous donation toward the project.  In fact, within just a few days, the entire remaining $930 was pledged to be covered from just a few donors!  Although I can not officially say that I am “fully-funded” since the checks are still on their way to Greenhouse, I can very confidently say that all of the remaining funds are in the mail and well on their way!

Looking back on the past few weeks, I am reminded that God is in control, and when he asks us to do something or adds his blessing to something we want to do for him, he helps make sure it happens.  A statement like that is pretty faith-packed, and I realize that sometimes things don’t always work out the way we expect them to based on something we thought God was leading us to do.  Although this can be a mystery, based on my own history, I can say that in those times I have often not given him enough time to prove himself, and in every occasion like this, I see now that he had a plan even greater than my own (imagine that!).

We had to slightly modify the dates of the trip to account for rising ticket prices, but I can happily report that I do have a ticket, and I am on my way to France this coming Monday (July 12)!

Thank you for your part in making this happen!!  Please continue to pray for me as I travel and while I am there.

Blessings,
Jon

2 comments:

  1. I am going to say this once again true to the word's meaning: Awesome! Only God works like this and only God is worthy to be called "Awesome!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God!! He is always Faithful, but not always predictable!!!

    ReplyDelete